5 Tips for a Healthier Halloween
It’s hard to keep your focus on healthy eating when everyone else’s attention seems to be on candy! Here are a few tips & tricks to help keep your little ghouls and goblins on the good food track:
- Follow the Golden (Treat) Rule. Treats are fun (in moderation), so give the trick-or-treaters at your door what you’d want your kids to get. And always hand out only factory-sealed items.
- Get real. Read labels. Look for good-quality (preferably organic) chocolate bars and other favorites made with real ingredients, not chemicals and preservatives.
- Short-circuit snacking. Satisfy your little monsters with a light, healthy meal or snack before they head out into the night.
- Choose organic. Organic foods help you keep scary ingredients and pesticide residues out of your diet — and that’s especially important for kids, whose growing bodies and brains are so vulnerable to chemical exposures.
- Ask the experts. Check these trusted resources for more healthy Halloween tips :
- Healthiest choices for Halloween treats from pediatrician Alan Greene, MD
- How green is your Halloween? from the Environmental Working Group
- “Lucky 13” tips for a safe Halloween from the FDA
Halloween can be healthy AND fun when you have a strategy for your family. Do you have a tried-and-true system, or are you looking for new ideas? Comment and share your tips and questions!