Our co-founders Myra and Drew Goodman started Earthbound Farm back in 1984 with a little backyard garden, a roadside stand and a deep love for the verdant land around them. The rest is amazing organic history (see the whole Earthbound story here) — and today, Earthbound’s healthy organic salads, fruits and vegetables are enjoyed by folks across the country.
Now Myra’s new cookbook, Straight from the Earth: Irresistible Vegan Recipes for Everyone — co-authored by her daughter Marea — is being released by Chronicle Books! (Check out her other two cookbooks here.)
Myra and Marea are skillful home cooks who really know their way around produce. The book features fresh ingredients and intriguing flavor combos in delicious dishes that aren’t just heavy on the fruits and veggies — they happen to be vegan, too.
“We want all kinds of eaters to enjoy these dishes,” Myra writes in her column on our Fresh Feast blog. “Our goal was to create 100% plant-based recipes that feel like a treat, not a sacrifice. We hope you love these recipes as much as we do, and that they bring the inspiration of our farm and love for delicious, healthy food directly to your kitchen.”
We’re as excited now as we were for Myra’s first cookbook — and hungry, too! Here’s a little taste that we think you’ll enjoy.
Cabbage & Carrot Crunch Salad
- Prep Time: 20m | Serves 6
- This salad is delicious to eat, beautiful to behold and very healthful. It combines the crunch of red cabbage, carrots, succulent romaine hearts, crispy apples and almonds — all complemented by sweet-tart dried cranberries and an agave-Dijon vinaigrette.
- You can make this salad any time of year, but Myra says she turns to it most often in the winter, because these tasty and highly nutritious ingredients are always available even when the rest of the produce selection has dwindled. When the days are cold, short and gray, this salad brings a welcome pop of color and vibrancy to your table. From Straight from the Earth: Irresistible Vegan Recipes for Everyone by Myra Goodman & Marea Goodman.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large Earthbound Farm Organic Romaine Heart (cut or torn into bite-size pieces)
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 large Earthbound Farm Organic Carrots (coarsely grated)
- 1 large sweet-tart organic apple (such as Honey Crisp or Fuji, cut into medium dice)
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted almonds (toasted and chopped)
- 1/2 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Dried Cranberries (coarsely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh spearmint (optional)
- To make the vinaigrette: Combine the oil, vinegar, agave, mustard, salt and pepper in a small jar. Seal the lid tightly and shake vigorously to emulsify. Set aside at room temperature.
- To make the salad: Combine the romaine, cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Add 1/2 cup of the vinaigrette (or more as desired) to the vegetables, and toss to combine. Divide the salad among 6 plates or bowls.
- Toss the apples with the reserved vinaigrette and divide it among the individual salads. Top each salad with equal amounts of almonds, cranberries and spearmint (if using). Serve immediately.
- Per serving: Calories 300, Fat 23 grams, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 150 mg, Carbohydrates 23 grams, Protein 3 grams.
- Percentage Daily Values per serving (based on a 2,000-calorie diet): Vitamin A 100%, Vitamin C 45%, Calcium 6%, Iron 6%, Vitamin E 15%, Folate 15%.