Cool Night? Try This Warm Salad
Warm bacon vinaigrette, creamy blue cheese and crunchy toasted hazelnuts dress crisp romaine and sweet broccolette for a comforting and hearty salad with deep flavors, bright colors and intriguing textures.
This salad makes a terrific starter or savory side dish for a fall or winter meal. It works with regular broccoli, too (with a little added time to prep and cook full-size broccoli). Try it alongside a simple meal of roast chicken or fish. Delicious!
Warm Broccolette Salad
- Serves 6 | Prep time: 15 mins / Cook time: 20 mins / Total: 35 mins
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 bunch Earthbound Farm Organic Broccolette, about 8 ounces (trimmed and cut into thirds)
- 6 slices Thick-cut bacon
- 3 tablespoons Red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Earthbound Farm Organic Romaine Hearts (chopped, about 5 cups)
- 1/4 cup Chopped toasted hazelnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup Crumbled blue cheese (optional)
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil over high heat and add 2 teaspoons of salt. Blanch the broccolette until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and immediately plunge the broccolette into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process and set its bright color.
- When the broccolette is cool, drain thoroughly, and pat dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels; set aside at room temperature. The broccolette can be blanched in advance, then covered and refrigerated, up to 2 days before using.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crispy. Transfer the bacon to a double layer of paper towels to drain. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of bacon fat from the skillet. Heat the fat over medium heat and add the vinegar, olive oil, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. Add the broccolette and cook, stirring constantly, until the broccolette is heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Place the romaine in a large bowl. Add the contents of the skillet and toss until combined. Crumble the bacon over the mixture and then sprinkle the salad with the hazelnuts and blue cheese, if you like. Serve immediately.
- Per serving: Calories 220, Fat 18 grams, Cholesterol 25 mg, Sodium 1,740 mg, Carbohydrates 7 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Sugars 4 grams, Protein 10 grams.
- Percentage Daily Values per serving (based on a 2,000-calorie diet): Vitamin A 60%, Vitamin C 20%, Calcium 10%, Iron 6%.