Warm & Wonderful Couldn’t Be Easier
Got a taste for a luscious, warm dessert? You can't do much better than our own Chef Sarah’s fruit-filled, fresh-from-the-oven crisp that goes together in just minutes.
The crisp topping makes more than you need — tuck the extra into the freezer next to a couple of packages of your favorite Earthbound organic frozen fruit, and grab them whenever unexpected company (or a spontaneous craving) happens!
Easy Fruit Crisp
- Prep Time: 10m | Cook Time: 45m | Serves 6
- FRUIT MIXTURE:
- 7 cups Earthbound Farm Organic Frozen Fruit
- (about 2 packages, one or a combo of your favorites)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter (cut into small pieces)
- TOPPING: (see notes)
- 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter (cut into small pieces)
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Place the frozen fruit in a medium bowl. Use one or a combination of fruits; blackberries and strawberries make a lovely combination, but feel free to use your favorites. If the fruit pieces are large, cut them so that all the fruit is a similar size.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and sugar. Add the lemon juice and butter pieces. Pour this mixture over the frozen fruit. Stir to mix well.
- Put the fruit mixture in a baking dish, at least 8x8 inches square or as large as 9x13 inches.
- To make the topping, place the flour, brown sugar, oats, salt, cinnamon and butter in a small bowl. Using your fingertips, mix the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles a coarse meal with pea-sized pieces. Add the pecans and stir to combine thoroughly. Sprinkle 1-1/2 cups of the mixture evenly over the fruit.
- Bake the crisp for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the fruit juices are bubbling up around the sides.
- Serve warm with ice cream or frozen yogurt. Delicious!
- Notes: We've used whole wheat pastry flour for added fiber and nutrients, but you can also use white whole wheat or unbleached all-purpose flour for great results. Regular whole wheat flour will work and give the topping a much stronger nutty flavor; you might want to use slightly less of the topping when you bake the crisp.
- The topping recipe makes about 3-1/2 cups, which is more than you need for one crisp. Keep it in the freezer, sealed tightly, alongside 2 packages of your favorite Earthbound organic frozen fruits, and you'll be ready to make a delightful warm treat for unexpected guests (or sudden cravings) anytime!