Get Your Water Works
We can’t live without water: it carries nutrients to our cells, flushes out toxins and helps regulate body temperature. Drinking enough water can also help control our appetite, energize our muscles and keep our skin looking its best.
- A healthy adult man needs about 3 liters (13 cups) daily.
- A healthy adult woman needs about 2.2 liters (9 cups) daily.
- You may need more, depending on factors like exercise, climate and health status.
When you’re low on fluids, your brain triggers your thirst — so listen to your body and get yourself a drink! Any beverage (except alcohol) works. Here are some easy ways to stay hydrated:
- Eat your (organic) fruits and veggies; on average, food provides about 20% of our total daily water intake.
- Keep water handy — a bottle at your desk or in your bag gets you in the habit of drinking before you’re terribly thirsty.
- Enjoy a beverage whenever you eat; you’re more likely to get enough liquids if you like how they taste (but keep sodas and sugary drinks to a minimum).
Check how much water you drink during a busy day: is it enough?