Invite This Salad to Your Holiday Table
All decked out in red and green, this salad is a delicious combination of the lush flavors and delightful textures of the season. Perfect for holiday gatherings, it’s equally at home on a party buffet or an intimate dinner table.
Here we pull together the freshness of tender baby lettuces, the creaminess of Stilton and the tang of ruby red cranberries. To top it all off, candied hazelnuts stand in for sugar plums. Let your taste buds celebrate, too!
Holiday Salad with Candied Hazelnuts and Cranberry Vinaigrette
- Prep Time: 30m | Cook Time: 45m | Serves 4
- CRANBERRY VINAIGRETTE:
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 2 tablespoons jellied cranberry sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest (about 1/2 orange)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- CANDIED HAZELNUTS:
- 1/2 cup whole hazelnuts (skinned)
- 3 tablespoons, brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg white (lightly whisked with a fork)
- 4 ounces Earthbound Farm Organic Spring Mix
- 1/4 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Dried Cranberries
- 1/4 cup candied hazelnuts
- 1 small Earthbound Farm Organic Gala or Fuji apple (sliced)
- 1/2 cup crumbled Stilton cheese
- To make the vinaigrette: Combine the cranberry juice and sauce in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the mixture reduces to 3 tablespoons. Combine the remaining vinaigrette ingredients in a glass jar and add the reduced cranberry juice. Shake vigorously to combine.
- To make the candied nuts: Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Combine the hazelnuts, sugar and salt in a small bowl. Add the egg white and stir to dissolve the sugar and coat the nuts. Transfer to a buttered or parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until the nuts turn golden brown. Remove the tray from the oven; with a fork, pull nuts to the edges of the pan, away from the pooled syrup. When cool, chop the nuts roughly and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- To assemble the salad: Place the greens in a large bowl and toss with the vinaigrette. Divide between 4 salad plates and garnish each serving with a sprinkling of cranberries, hazelnuts, apple and cheese. Serve immediately.
- Per serving: Calories 370, Fat 24 grams, Cholesterol 15 mg, Sodium 410 mg, Carbohydrates 37 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Sugars 30 grams, Protein 8 grams.
- Percentage Daily Values per serving (based on a 2,000-calorie diet): Vitamin A 30%, Vitamin C 30%, Calcium 15%, Iron 15%.