Maybe Meatless Monday?
It looks like the Meatless Monday campaign is having a positive effect on American eating habits.
A recent survey by FGI Research found that Meatless Monday not only influenced people to reduce the amount of meat they ate, but also helped them to incorporate healthier alternatives into their diet:
- 73% said they were eating more veggies
- 64% said they were eating more fruit
- 47% said they were eating more whole grains
- 42% said they were eating more beans
And you don’t have to give up meat completely to benefit. Just one meat-free a week may:
- Reduce your risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity (a win for your health)
- Reduce your carbon footprint and save precious resources like fresh water and fossil fuels (a win for the Earth)
- Reduce your grocery bill (a big win for your pocketbook!)
Maybe that’s the magic of Meatless Mondays; small steps are within just about everyone’s reach, yet they can add up to big change. So...might you plan a meatless meal this Monday?