Move Over, Biscuits — It’s Berry Time!
Here’s a new, lighter version of those old-fashioned biscuit-topped cobblers. The batter gets spooned over the berries and bakes into a combination of soft biscuit and cake, with juicy fruit throughout. This delectable concoction is fantastic on its own — but what warm, comforting fruit dessert isn’t begging for vanilla ice cream, frozen yogurt or whipped cream slathered over the top?
Take Today’s Step and make this lovely treat for your family. How did you serve it? Share the delicious results with all of us in Comments below.
Cherry Berry Cobbler
- Serves 6
- 1 package Earthbound Farm Frozen Organic Dark Sweet Cherries (10 oz)
- 1 package Earthbound Farm Frozen Organic Blueberries (10 oz)
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Unbleached all-purpose flour (plus 1-1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 cup Unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- dash Salt
- 1 large Egg
- 1/2 cup Whole or lowfat milk
- 2 tablespoons Butter (melted)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 9-inch square baking pan, toss together the first 5 ingredients (cherries, blueberries, sugar, cinnamon and 1 tablespoon-plus flour) until the fruit is coated. The sugar mixture won’t be evenly distributed in the pan.
- To make the topping, in a medium bowl stir together the 1 cup flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk until blended. Pour the liquid over the flour mixture and stir with a fork until combined.
- Spoon the batter over the berries, covering them as evenly as possible — but don’t be concerned if all the berries are not covered. Then drizzle the melted butter evenly over the top.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the batter comes out clean. Serve warm.
Find more delicious ways to use frozen berries in our Recipe Center!