Party On — Healthier!
Whether you’re gathering just a few friends or everyone you know for an end-of-summer celebration, these days it’s easy to work the healthier angles — your guests’ taste buds won’t notice, but their bodies will thank you!
- Use smaller plates, cups and glasses; they’re easier to maneuver, and your guests will actually be satisfied with smaller portions when they fill a smaller plate!
- Update your favorite party munchies with lighter dips like guacamole, salsa and hummus, and different dippers like fresh, crunchy veggies or homemade pita chips.
- If you’re grilling, choose leaner cuts and lighter options like chicken, pork, fish or veggie burgers. Choose organic ingredients when you can, especially for items on the EWG’s Shopper’s Guide.
- Meat-and-veggie skewers and kabobs are fun and easy to eat by hand. Likewise, fresh summer fruits in homemade frozen yogurt pops or colorful fruit lollipops make cool desserts for all ages.
- Do more than just eat. Games, music & dancing and other activities keep things lively and give your guests fun reasons to mingle and move.
- Offer lots of water and other low-cal beverages like iced coffee, tea and spritzers for your guests to enjoy between beer, wine or mixed drinks.
Have you been following our Summer Soirée tips? Now's the time to decide on your menu and party activities. If you haven’t already, get some inspiration from Pinterest and your favorite food sites (don’t forget our Recipe Center).