A Perfect Crunchy Munch
Make this nut mix ahead of time and bring it out for a few friends or everyone you know — outdoors or in, any time of year. Just one word of warning: these nuts are addictive!
Lightly coated with a mixture of pure maple syrup, oregano and thyme, with a subtle kick of cayenne, these nuts make an irresistible cocktail nibble. They're also a great crunchy topping for soups or salads, a delicious and nutritious snack, and a perfect hostess gift, too.
This recipe makes about 6 cups. The nuts will keep at room temperature, tightly covered, for up to 3 weeks. (That is, if you can keep them around that long!)
Take Today’s Step and make a batch of these nuts to have on hand for the weekend — they’re a perfect crunchy counterpoint to just about any cold beverage. Let us know what you think in Comments below!
Savory Nut Mix
- Serves 24 (makes about 6 cups)
- From The Earthbound Cook: 250 Recipes for Delicious Food and a Healthy Planet by Myra Goodman
- 1/2 cup Pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dried thyme
- 1-1/2 cups Whole almonds (skin on)
- 1-1/2 cups Walnut halves and pieces
- 1-1/2 cups Blanched hazelnuts
- 1-1/2 cups Pecan halves
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 300 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil, preferably recycled.
- Combine the maple syrup, olive oil, salt, cayenne, oregano and thyme in a medium-size bowl and whisk to blend. Add all the nuts and stir to coat thoroughly.
- Pour the nut mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and spread into a single layer. Bake, stirring several times, until the nuts are fragrant and lightly browned, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.