A Special Salsa for Cinco Weekend
This medley of creamy avocado, crunchy corn and juicy tomatillos has a light, delightfully fresh taste. Its chunky texture makes a colorful topper for grilled fish, fish tacos or chicken, and it’s simply divine in a big burrito salad bowl. Or keep things simple and scoop it up with something substantial and crunchy, like a tortilla chip, a slice of cucumber or a stalk of celery.
While this recipe makes about 4 cups of salsa, if you’re serving salsa (or avocado) lovers, you might want to double up!
This salsa is perfect for your Cinco de Mayo weekend festivities. (Or plan a special menu around this salsa — if you’re an avocado lover, you know what we mean!)
Avocado, Corn and Tomatillo Salsa
- Serves 8 (makes about 4 cups of salsa)
- 2 Ripe Earthbound Farm Organic Avocados (peeled, pitted and diced)
- 2/3 cup Fresh corn kernels, from about 1 ear
- (or frozen Earthbound Farm Organic Sweet Corn, thawed)
- 1 Ripe Earthbound Farm Organic Tomato (small size, diced)
- 1/2 cup Diced fresh tomatillos
- 1/4 cup Finely diced Earthbound Farm Organic Red Onion
- 1 Red or green jalapeño (seeded and finely diced, or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons Minced fresh Earthbound Farm Organic Cilantro (or Italian parsley)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Place the avocado, corn, tomato, tomatillos, onion, jalapeño and cilantro in a bowl.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the oil, lime juice and salt. Pour the dressing over the avocado mixture and stir gently to coat. Season the salsa with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to 3 hours.
Note: AOL Food has a neat little video about buying and preparing fresh tomatillos here. You’ll find them in well-stocked markets, peaking in the summertime. For this recipe, you’ll use your tomatillos raw.