This Spinach Recipe Will Convert You
This rich and creamy spinach, blended with Parmesan cheese and a hint of nutmeg, will have your guests asking for seconds. It’s a delicious side dish with beef, pork, chicken or fish, and quick and easy to make. Serves 4 to 6
Make this simple yet amazing spinach side dish for your friends or family and create some spinach joy at your table!
- Serves 4 to 6
- 20 ounces Earthbound Farm Organic Frozen Chopped Spinach
- 2 tablespoons Butter (1/4 stick)
- 2 tablespoons Unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups Whole or lowfat milk
- 1/2 cup Heavy (whipping) cream
- 1/4 cup Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly ground nutmeg
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Thaw the spinach. Squeeze the spinach with your hands or in a clean dishcloth to remove any water. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Add the milk and the cream in a steady stream, continuing to whisk, and cook until the cream sauce thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the cream sauce and stir to combine. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and nutmeg, and cook until the spinach is heated through, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot. Enjoy!
- From Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook by Myra Goodman
Cook’s Note: To make this recipe with fresh spinach, start with 2 pounds baby spinach (or 2 bunches of mature spinach, cleaned, stemmed and coarsely chopped). Steam it just until it wilts — be careful not to overcook it! Transfer the hot spinach to a colander to drain, then squeeze out any remaining water with your hands or a dishcloth, and continue with the recipe from melting the butter.
There are so many inspiring ways to eat healthy by adding spinach to your repertoire — check them out in our Recipe Center.