These Carrots Have a Secret
Oven-roasting carrots concentrates their flavor and enhances their sweetness. Add our warm pomegranate vinaigrette, and you’ll have a deeply delicious side dish that will please just about everyone!
It's important to select carrots of the same size for this recipe, so that they cook evenly in the same amount of time — or save yourself some prep and use Earthbound Farm Mini Peeled Carrots. You can roast them whole (and save time on a busy weeknight). Larger carrots also work; just be sure to cut them to approximately the same size.
And here’s a bonus: Don’t stop with carrots. Use this method to roast and dress almost any firm, dense vegetable! Try butternut squash, parsnips, beets or a mix of your favorites — you’ll have an elegant and delicious side dish that’s perfect beside a pork tenderloin or roast chicken.
The secret to the vinaigrette's intense flavor is pomegranate molasses; try our easy recipe or find it in well-stocked specialty stores and Middle Eastern markets.
Roasted Carrots with Pomegranate Vinaigrette
- Serves 6 | Prep time: 10 mins / Cook time: 45 mins / Total: 55 mins
- 1-1/2 pounds Earthbound Farm Organic Carrots (scrubbed and any greens discarded,
- or Mini Peeled Carrots)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
POMEGRANATE VINAIGRETTE:3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses2 tablespoons finely minced shallots1 tablespoon sherry vinegar1/4 teaspoon salt
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees F.
- Place the carrots on a rimmed baking sheet and toss them with the oil to coat. Sprinkle with the thyme, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast the carrots until they're crisp-tender and lightly caramelized in places, 25 to 40 minutes; the time will vary depending of the size of your carrots.
- Meanwhile, place the 3 tablespoons of oil, molasses, shallots, vinegar and salt in a small saucepan and heat until the vinaigrette is warm.
- Transfer the roasted carrots to a platter and drizzle with the warm vinaigrette. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Per serving: Calories 140, Fat 10 grams, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 170 mg, Carbohydrates 15 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Sugars 8 grams, Protein 1 gram.
- Percentage Daily Values per serving (based on a 2,000-calorie diet): Vitamin A 390%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 6%, Iron 8%.