This Kale Tastes Like Ice Cream
You’ve heard the news about kale. It’s delicious. It’s surprisingly versatile. And it’s packed with super nutrition, including the powerful antioxidant vitamins A, C and K, and minerals, too.
But kale that tastes like dessert? Well, this smoothie might make you believe.
Our friend Tess Masters, The Blender Girl, has come up with a recipe based on an award-winning smoothie from her favorite L.A. raw restaurant, SunCafe. She calls it “the Holy Grail of Kale” — and it’s still the most popular recipe on her website. We’re jazzed that she’s sharing it with us…and we hope you’ll enjoy it, too!
- Prep Time: 15m | Total Time: 15m | Serves 2
- Our friend Tess Masters, The Blender Girl, isn’t sure exactly what’s in the award-winning kale smoothie from her favorite café, but her taste buds attest that this recipe is pretty close. One taste and you’ll understand why even kale-phobic omnivores line up (and even double park) in front of SunCafe to run in and get their fill. We think it’s just perfect — and perfectly delicious — any time of day.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon probiotic powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked
- 1 cup torn curly green kale (1 or 2 large leaves with stalk removed,
- torn into small pieces), plus more to taste
- 2 ripe bananas, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted dates, soaked (see note below),
- or 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 2 cups ice cubes (a little less if using frozen bananas)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger, plus more to taste (optional)
- Put all of the ingredients into your blender in the order listed and purée for about a minute, until smooth and creamy. Tweak the flavors to your taste (you may like a bit more kale, sweetener, or ginger).
- Note: With a conventional blender, you’ll get the smoothest consistency if you use maple syrup or chop the dates finely.