Top Recipe: Heirloom Lettuce Salad with Strawberries, Walnuts and Goat Cheese
Succulent, sweet-tart strawberries are a true joy of spring and summer. This light, delicious salad uses whole heirloom lettuce leaves (or spring mix) as a beautiful and flavorful base for those sweet berries, plus creamy goat cheese and toasted walnuts.
A quick and easy Walnut Balsamic Vinaigrette featuring toasted walnut oil pulls the flavors together in perfect harmony. Good-quality balsamic vinegar and walnut oil make all the difference here; if you can find a roasted walnut oil, its intensely nutty flavor won’t be overpowered by the rich balsamic vinegar.
Take Today’s Step and make this delectable salad for your family or your friends — or celebrate strawberry season just for yourself! (We won’t tell.)
From The Earthbound Cook: 250 Recipes for Delicious Food and a Healthy Planet by Myra Goodman
- WALNUT BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE:
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons Toasted walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pint Earthbound Farm Organic Strawberries (rinsed, dried and hulled)
- 7 ounces Earthbound Farm Organic Heirloom Lettuce Leaves, whole
- 1/2 cup Walnut pieces (toasted)
- 1/2 cup Crumbled goat cheese (about 2 ounces)
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the vinegar, mustard and both oils in a glass jar and seal the lid tightly. Shake the jar vigorously to combine. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside. (The dressing can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 1 month. Let it return to room temperature and shake vigorously before using.)
- Cut the strawberries into quarters, place them in a small bowl, and toss them with about 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Set aside.
- Place all of the lettuce leaves in a large bowl and add 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Toss to lightly coat the leaves, then taste and add more vinaigrette if needed.
- Transfer the lettuce to individual salad plates. Top the lettuce with the strawberries, toasted walnuts and crumbled goat cheese, and serve immediately.
- Note: This salad also works beautifully with 5 ounces of Earthbound Farm Organic Spring Mix instead of heirloom lettuces. Be sure to rinse and dry your lettuces if they’re not prewashed.