A Yummy Carrot Snack (Bar)
If you like carrots, we think you'll love these chewy snack (or dessert) bars. Carrots give these treats a natural moistness, and their abundant coconut, raisins and pecans add a perfect chewy texture. And they’re not just treats for your taste buds — they’re packed with important nutrients, so they’re a great pick-me-up snack anytime!
We’ve modified our original recipe to use less sugar and butter and add a nutrient boost from ground flaxseeds; we think it’s every bit as delicious as before. The recipe makes 12 bars, which can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Take Today’s Step and share these tender, delectable — and portable — snack bars with your family or at a get-together with friends. Then tell us what you think in Comments below.
Carrot Snack Bars
- Serves 12
- Prep time: 20 mins | Cook time: 45 mins
- 1 cup Whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup Unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup Ground flaxseeds
- 2 teaspoons Ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Grated carrots (firmly packed)
- 1 cup Sweetened shredded or flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Raisins
- 1/2 cup Chopped pecans (optional)
- 2 large Eggs
- 2/3 cup Canola oil
- 4 ounces Applesauce (preferably organic)
- 1/4 cup Melted unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 2 tablespoons Agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9 or 10-inch square baking pan. Line the bottom with a piece of parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place the flours, sugar, flaxseed, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the carrots, coconut, raisins and pecans (if using), and stir to blend.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, applesauce, melted butter, agave and vanilla. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry mixture and stir until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake until the top is golden brown, the sides have pulled away from the pan, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let the pan cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then turn out and let the cake finish cooling on the rack. Cut into 12 bars to serve.
- Calories per serving: 380, Fat 26 grams, Cholesterol 45 mg, Sodium 220 mg, Carbohydrates 36 grams, Fiber 5 grams, Sugars 17 grams, Protein 5 grams.
- Percentage Daily Values per serving (based on a 2,000-calorie diet): Vitamin A 35%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 10%, Iron 10%.