Devotees of kale will already be familiar with this versatile and flavorful green, but for the uninitiated — whether you’re unfamiliar with how to cook kale or wary of its robust taste — our baby kale is a great introduction to a green you really want to meet!
Kale is a member of the cabbage family, cousin to broccoli, collards and Brussels sprouts, to name a few. It’s delicious and nutritious…but it also takes some preparation to get it ready for recipes.
Because this vegetable is so very, very good for your body, we’ve developed a medley of baby kales tender and flavorful enough to be used raw in salad. We harvest the leaves before they mature to ensure they're tender and sweet.
Mature kale is bold and peppery with a chewy texture, so it’s rarely served raw. Baby kale, on the other hand, is very mild with a flavor profile similar to baby arugula (with less bite). Its leaves are sturdier than those of many other baby lettuces, so baby kale salads can stand up to a wide array of ingredients and bolder flavors without being overwhelmed.
Forget about hassling with all the prep work involved with mature, full-size kale and discover the convenience and fun of baby kale. Earthbound Farm Organic Mixed Baby Kales are wonderfully versatile performers in all kinds of recipes: substitute these tender-yet-robust baby leaves for ordinary lettuce in your favorite salad; zip them up in a power smoothie; add them to cooked dishes like pasta, frittatas, stir fries and soups. Mixed Baby Kales are a great way to discover and enjoy a nutritious vegetable you may not have known you could love!
Why choose organic kale?
- Kale is #16 on the Environmental Working Group's “Shopper’s Guide to Pesticides in Produce,” a list of produce that carries the most pesticide residues when grown conventionally. You can lower your dietary exposure to pesticides substantially by avoiding the most contaminated fruits and vegetables, and choosing organic for those items instead.
- At Earthbound Farm, we grow our organic baby kale without toxic synthetic pesticides and fertilizers, using sustainable farming methods that protect the environment and help keep pesticides out of our soil, air, water, and food supply. Organic food is the healthiest choice for people and the planet — and we think organic kale tastes better, too!
How to store mixed baby kales
- Earthbound Farm Organic Mixed Baby Kales are pre-washed and ready to use. Store them in the coolest part of your refrigerator in the original container. Be sure to consume your baby kale by the “use by” date on the package — but no matter what the date, discard any package with leaves that look discolored or wilted, or smell bad.
Tips for using mixed baby kales
- Baby kale is a terrific salad green on its own or mixed with other lettuces. Its sturdier leaves are tender but still able to stand up to bold dressings and heavier ingredients.
- Unlike mature kale, baby kale leaves don’t have thick central stalks to trim away, nor do they require blanching; baby kale cooks in a jiffy, with no prep work needed. Try substituting baby kale for baby spinach — it cooks in much the same way and works beautifully in most recipes.