If you think potatoes don’t really have a distinct flavor, then it’s time you tried one of our exquisite heirloom varieties! They’re splendid when roasted, steamed, grilled, boiled or baked. Because of their compact flesh, these heirloom potatoes hold their shape during cooking, which makes them extremely versatile — and they cook in less than 25 minutes. Earthbound Farm offers 3 organic heirloom fingerling cultivars, each with a distinctive flavor and appearance:
French Fingerlings are slender, smooth potatoes with rounded ends and rose-colored skins; their flesh has a light marbling of pink and ivory. They’re known for their succulent texture and exceptional, buttery flavor.
Despite their colorful name, Russian Bananas are a straight or slightly curved finger-sized tuber with pale yellow skin and flesh. Their rich, nutty flavor and firm texture make them a favorite with chefs.
Ruby Crescents are slender and slightly elongated, with pale rose-hued skin. Their yellow flesh is moist with a mild, earthy taste. When cooked, these potatoes have a creamy, melt-in-your-mouth texture.
All these heirloom potatoes have very thin skins, so no peeling is required. They’re also small (usually 2 to 3 inches in length) and flavorful, with smooth, firm flesh and a moist, waxy texture.
Why choose organic potatoes?
- Potatoes are currently #12 on the Environmental Working Group’s “Shopper’s Guide to Pesticides,” a list of produce that carries the most pesticide residues when grown conventionally. Choosing organic — especially for the 12 most contaminated fruits and vegetables — is a good way to lower your dietary exposure to pesticides substantially.
- Earthbound Farm heirloom potatoes are grown without synthetic pesticides and fertilizers, using sustainable farming methods that protect the environment and help keep persistent toxic chemicals out of our soil, air, water — and food supply. We believe that organic potatoes taste better, and they help keep our planet healthier, too!
How to store heirloom potatoes
- Don’t refrigerate Earthbound Farm Organic Heirloom Potatoes. Store them in a cool, dark, well-ventilated place in their original bag. The cooler the temperature, the longer the potatoes will last — but it’s usually a good idea to use potatoes as soon as possible and within 10 days to 2 weeks of purchasing.
- Keep potatoes away from onions and shallots; these items will cause potatoes to sprout. Discard any potatoes that show shriveling, soft spots or sprouts immediately so they don’t spoil the remaining spuds.
Tips for using heirloom potatoes
- Always wash potatoes thoroughly but gently before using. A vegetable brush is handy for scrubbing off dirt. The beauty of fingerlings is that their skin is so thin and tender they really don’t need to be peeled.
- As with any potato, once pared or cut, their flesh will discolor, but it doesn’t affect the taste or quality of the potato. To keep this from happening, immerse peeled or cut potatoes in a bowl of ice water until you're ready to cook them, for up to 2 hours.